Lies, Deceit, Failures
Don't hire this guy!
23 Months after I hired him, and instead of new siding I have $50,000+ in damage caused by him, and had to hire council to redress the damage!
Does not pass code, Failed regional building code in a spectacular fashion.
Left my house as a fire hazard from modifying wiring improperly.
Attempts to file a malicious lien to force me into accepting shoddy work, and suppress publishing my opinion.
Ignored CDARA notice, multiple requests to address deficiencies, and certified letters.
Intrigued? Read on.....
Hired him (Kyriakos Melas, Elisa Melas, Black n White Roofing and Exteriors) to do roofing, gutters, and siding because of hail damage. The problems began the day they began doing the roof.
1. Showed up at 1:00pm to begin my roof.
2. Next day they began the roof. It took months to get them to show up and work on the rest of the contract (gutters and siding)....
3. Gutters installed wrong, they were installed with incorrect drop, causing water to pool, run the wrong way.
4. Downspouts attached incorrectly/without fasteners and fell off the first time it rained hard.
5. Attempted to install gutters where they didn't go, somehow managing to destroy the drip-edge causing the brand new roof to no longer pass code.
6. installed the wrong siding (wrong color and wrong lap, didn't replace damaged J trim, didn't meet code, covered attic vents, covered crawl space vents, left light fixture dangling by its wires, wires exposed to weather.........etc....)
It took months, (nearly 9 months) to get the wrong siding addressed. No one would even show up to look at it for months.
Finally someone came and agreed it was wrong, gutters weren't right, and said they would make it right.
Months of my asking for updates and months of my updates getting ignored they finally agree to make it right.
Except they made it worse.
Way Way Way Way worse.
7. Entire house doesn't pass code.
8. Siding falling off in multiple places, collecting siding from the area has become a neighborhood event.
9. Electrical outlets not meeting code any longer.
10. Waterproofing beneath siding has been destroyed around entire house
11. Siding installed wrong in hundreds of places. (Yes, I did count them, and took images)
12. Siding manufacturer came out to see this disaster and said everything that Black N White installed is damaged beyond reuse by their improper handling and installation, the product must be removed, disposed of, and replaced with undamaged new product.
13. Siding installed over live electrical (where a light should be, I even bought them a new light fixture to install there.....) leaving an un-grounded, un-covered, non moist/wet location box and wiring exposed to the elements.
14. Complete gaps between pieces of siding.
15. Siding installed with ends butted against each other, and no overlap
16. Roofing screws driven through the faces of trim in attempt to correct loose pieces from incorrect install
17. Used non-recommended steel nails with small heads to fasten siding. Resulting in rust-streaking, and siding pulling over small nail heads
18. Drove fasteners way too hard, crushing siding, tearing out nail slots, and causing wrinkles.
19. Far, far too few fasteners to meet code, or Mfgr's required install. There are whole pieces of material that have only 3 fasteners in the entire length.
20. Failed to use starter-strip, used cheaper j-channel resulting in loose bottom course around entire house.
21. J channel at base not properly prepared, turned it into an ad-hoc gutter, concentrating rain water to the inside corner of the foundation.
22. Completely amatuer attempts to apply silicone sealer, workers smeared excess on AC unit, landscaping, house foundation, fence, but still managed to not create watertight seal on structure.
23 Cut the bottom clip off siding pieces to compensate for un-level siding.
24. Drove roofing-type screws through bottom clip of siding pieces when incorrect installation resulted in loose panels.
25. No under-sill trim used, resulting in loose areas, and gaps under window sills
26. Used incorrect trim in place of more expensive inside corner post pieces.
27. Left missing pieces in gable area because they couldn't figure out how to attach a small bit
28. Many, many ripples/wrinkles, and sagging pieces.
29. No undersill trim used at the top anywhere.
30. Scheduling was a complete nightmare. Wouldn't show up for appointments
31. Construction Debris everywhere! It's still everywhere!!! Nails, Screws, siding pieces, surplus materials, trimmings, caulk everywhere.
32. Stored surplus materials in a manor that damaged them. Left siding sagging between 2 ladders for weeks.
33. Left coolers, garbage, tools everywhere.
34. Workers were vulgar, loud, and made disparaging comments about my children through the open window. (they went as far as blowing cigarette smoke into my open windows and whistled at my little girls through my open windows!!!!)
This is the "reader's digest" condensed version. - the list of problems is far longer.
When the manufacturer's rep came to look at the siding for a warranty claim they condemned the entire install, declined this, or any future warranty coverage as a result of incompetent/improper install/fasteners/methods.
It is a Disaster. Other contractors have provided written estimates and we are over $50,000. They are reluctant to work on such a bad install for fear of hidden damage resulting from Black N White Roofing and Exteriors "fine" craftsmanship.
Obviously, I do NOT recommend them, ever. ITS 100% DOCUMENTED WITH PHOTOGRAPHS, INVOICES, SIGNED STATEMENTS, AND AFFIDAVITS. Documentation available upon written request.